Featured After 15 Years, New Speakers!

Discussion in 'Audio Gear' started by Carbonman, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    I saw a hot deal on these tiny speakers on the NCIX site last Friday. I decided to chance buying them because the store and manufacturer are both local and the few online reviews of the Kanto products I found were pretty positive.
    As it turned out, these speakers are terrific! there's no deep bass as expected but the sound is smooth and undistorted up to pretty high listening levels, much higher than I'd normally use in the office. The sound quality is much improved over the old plastic cabinet Yamaha computer speakers they replace.
    The cabinets are bamboo, the tweeter is a 3/4" soft dome and the 3" woofer is Kevlar with a rolled rubber surround. The Office. Kanto YU2 Powered Front. Kanto YU2 Passive Front. Kanto YU2 Powered Speaker. Kanto YU2 Passive Speaker.
    SOOC hand-held available light JPGs, not quite my usual standard

The 2 design and manufacturing faults are that the power indicator LED has never lit on the front and the on/off/volume control is located on the back of the powered cabinet so I have to click on the speaker icon and then adjust SPLs.
    The internal amps and DAC are both excellent.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 5, 2016
    Very nice looking in the bamboo finish!

3. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    It's all your fault! You were the one talking about desktop speakers and look what happened. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    I bought a SUB6 to fill out the bottom end but it was faulty. I'm waiting for a replacement to come into stock and will pick it up when I get a call. The speakers by themselves do an admirable job in the meantime.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    Picked up the replacement Kanto SUB6 yesterday and hooked it up to my YU2's. I haven't done anything to fine tune volume or phase and it fills out the bottom end very nicely. :biggrin::2thumbs::yahoo:
    I'll post pictures shortly.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    I finally had a chance to shoot a few pictures of the new sub and do a little adjustment of the relative level to the YU2 speakers. It's pretty seamless sounding most of the time now that I've dialed back the gain to better match the efficiency of the main speakers. Of course it rolls off below about 60Hz but still adds that bit of solidity I was looking for in the bottom end.
    I haven't played with the phase switch yet but will do that when a buddy drops over for a visit next week.

SUB6 Full View.

SUB6 Rear Panel.

SUB6 On Bookshelf.

• Like Like x 1