Favorite Piece of Audio Gear

Discussion in 'Audio Gear' started by Carbonman, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    What is your favorite piece of audio equipment, formerly or currently in your system? I'm still trying to pick my favorite, though the Thorens TD126 Mk.III and Ortofon Super OM40 combination may be it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. chicks

chicks AGC Regular

Oct 8, 2016
    For sound, it's my QUAD ESL-63s. Had been through many speakers before these, all, except perhaps the DCM Timeframes, had the "boxy" sound that most box speakers have, especially ported ones. The QUADs simply disappear, and the music simply inhabits the room.

For usability, nothing compares with my Sonos setup. I've used LMS/Squeezebox, SqueezeLite, AirPlay/APE, ChromeCast, BlueTooth, Spotify Connect, UPnP, DLNA, etc. They're all ridiculously complex, or unreliable (constant dropouts with AirPlay, LMS would break with every update), or take too long to connect, or don't support enough services, don't support multi-room, etc.

Sonos just works, supports the local NAS in the simplest possible way, supports Apple Music, Spotify (including Spotify Connect), Pandora, Google Play Music, Rhapsody, Deezer, Tidal, and dozens more services, instantly, effortlessly, without a hitch. Supports up to 32 rooms with its mesh network (which I've noticed is suddenly the hot thing in home wifi; Sonos has been doing it for 12+ years). Their oldest hardware is still fully supported, and gets regular updates. No planned obsolescence with Sonos.

Alexa support, in the works, will make it even simpler for many things. It just keeps getting better; a worthy investment.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    I very vividly remember the the sound of an Audio Research VT60 amplifier that I had about 15 years ago. I am attempting to track one down to see if the magic still exists within those tubes. I know they've made many more (and presumably better) amps since then, but I'm on a strict budget.

4. curtisls87

curtisls87 AGC Rookie

Oct 10, 2016
    Los Gatos, CA
    In my current system, it's probably my Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum/Graham Phantom combination. I tried a few other well regarded cartridges from companies like Clearaudio, Lyra, Sumiko, Shelter and a few others, but this combination is the most musical for my tastes.

Going back a ways, my first Ortofon was up there (VMS-20E).