Of Camera Reviewers Reviewing Audio & the Devialet Phantoms

Discussion in 'Audio Gear' started by rbelyell, Dec 2, 2016.

1. rbelyell

rbelyell AGC Regular

Aug 30, 2016
    so, i was innocently browsing around the ol' innerwebs and came across many of our (camera-lovin-folk) old buddy steve huff reviewing hi end audio!

HiFi: The Devialet Phantom GOLD Speakers. Full Stereo Pair Review.

so much to discuss here, so lemme throw out just a couple topics:

anyone know he did audio too?!

waddaya think of 'double dipping' like that on the reviewing front?

most importantly, anyone know about, use, heard, have an opinion about these Devialet Phantom line of speakers--they have a White, Silver and now Gold. i am particukarky interested in how they perform set up as traditional stereo--two speakers hardwired to stereo audio source.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 5, 2016
    My brother uses Devialet Phantoms in the office and likes them a lot. But he uses them without wires if I recall correctly.

I've noticed Steve Huff doing audio gear reviews in the past. Same for Ken Rockwell.

I think double dipping is fine. I could see myself reviewing everything from fountain pens ink to VR goggles if there were 36 hours in a day :).

3. rbelyell

rbelyell AGC Regular

Aug 30, 2016
    thanks amin. do you know if he sets it up as a traditional stereo, or does he have a single unit? its interesting to me that that one is supposed to be able to set up two units as traditional stereo and id like to know how that plays out in practice. these have just gotten awesome reviews...im always suspicious, ya know, whats seems too good to be true usually is!

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 5, 2016
    Just asked my brother - he's just using 1 unit wired. Hasn't tried a stereo setup. It's his office computer audio.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    Amin, get your brother to post his thoughts on the Devialet Phantom. We'd love to find out what a user thinks. There is a Devialet dealer in Vancouver but I haven't listened to them yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chicks

chicks AGC Regular

Oct 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rbelyell

rbelyell AGC Regular

Aug 30, 2016
    on what basis would you believe that to be true? im not saying its not--though frankly they dont look very inspiring. i'm just hoping to be better informed.

8. chicks

chicks AGC Regular

Oct 8, 2016
    Well, I'm unable to find a review of the Phantoms with measurements. I trust most audio manufacturers claims, and the "trust your ears" audiophile rags about as much as I trust Breitbart "news", so I'll have to withhold judgement on the Phantoms for now. Maybe they are "all that".

The LS50 measured performance is "superb" per John Atkinson:

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model loudspeaker Measurements

The wireless model adds DSP correction, which will improve the performance.

9. rbelyell

rbelyell AGC Regular

Aug 30, 2016
    ive had no problem finding scads of reviews from a basic google search, but thats not relevent to the question i posed. my question was, having not personally heard either, and having obviously not even read a review of the phantoms, which btw are in their third generation, what support you have for your statement that youre willing to bet they are a good bit less 'accurate' than those youve posted above? i guess youre just 'stirring the pot' as they say, and your statement has no support whatsoever. i have no issue with genuine debate, or differences of opinion based on some objective or even subjective criteria. ive no issue with throwing in another set of speakers to this thread and asking what folks think. and i have zero particular feeling for the phantoms. i just have a problem with the kinds of posts which make a qualitative statement based on nothing. so, im willing to take your 'bet'. waddaya wanna put up?

10. Bosse

Bosse AGC Regular

Sep 15, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't think betting is approved on this forum. ;)

/Bosse

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. chicks

chicks AGC Regular

Oct 8, 2016
    Lol, I'm just a sceptical engineer who has read plenty of claims over many years of the latest and greatest audiophile products. Give me measurements, not reviews from non-technical reviewers who claim to "hear" vast differences between cables, amplifiers, "Hi-Rez" formats, etc. I don't and won't believe them until I see measured differences or controlled DBT results confirming their claims.

Again, perhaps the Devialets are a great value. I wish some qualified unbiased entity would measure them, then we'd know if they truly live up to their claimed performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's funny that while I also STRONGLY distrust that the Phantoms are anywhere near as good as the hype, I don't buy into chicks assertion that if it can't be proven by measurements than it doesn't exist. I've seen countless arguments that cables don't make a difference, but I've heard vast differences between cables so I would prefer to just hear them and decide for myself than to form a judgment based on what some number cruncher measures.

But we may be getting slightly off the original topic here.

I'd also like to hear those KEF speakers...maybe next time I stop at my local dealer.....although he is VERY anti-wireless speaker.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    Of course; he can't sell boutique speaker wire if the speakers don't use any at all.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. rbelyell

rbelyell AGC Regular

Aug 30, 2016
    tbh, i myself am anti wireless, as well as anti bookshelf, anti mini etc. to my old and decaying mind, you cant beat a 500 hp ferrari with a 250 hp porsche, regardless of the genious of german engineering. same with speakers--ya need the HPs! so really, just like with camera gear/results that many of us debate, it comes down to subjective discernment. that was one of the two reasons i posted this thread, (one was to 'stir the pot' myself about steve huff) to hear first hand listeners views, for those better audially-educated than i to purse the specs and reviews and add their expertise, and hopefully thus to learn something more about the phantoms, because i havent seen even a lukewarm review about them, and after years of keeping some kind of track on wireless speakers, these were the first ones that held any interest for me at all.

about measurements, as above i remain convinced 'sound quality' is ultimately a matter of taste, though obviously some objective measurements can excite the public when they break dramatically with the competition. so, like with photography, numbers are a starting point for deciding whats worthy of further exploration, but not as anything close to definitive qualitative ends in themselves.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  15. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    I tend to agree on having wired speakers but would like to see speaker manufacturers make powered speakers so it becomes simply a matter of plugging the speakers into a wall socket and running balanced cable from the preamp directly to the back of the cabinet. We would then have sound closer to what the speaker designer intended ( or was capable of designing/building).

16. chicks

chicks AGC Regular

Oct 8, 2016
    Speaker drivers, like lens elements, are flawed. However, some of their flaws can be compensated for very cheaply using DSP, resulting in a much better performing system. I'm all for modern speakers with an amplifier / driver, each with DSP correction .

I assume the Devialets are built this way, as are the KEFs mentioned above. The wireless part is usually optional, with both analog and digital inputs supplied on back.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 5, 2016
    Hopefully that continues to be the case. I'm not ready to let go of wires just yet despite the fact that I tend to use cheap ones :D.