Featured What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Music and Recordings' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 5, 2016
    I just came across something I never thought I'd see again — a new De La Soul album!

What are you listening to right now?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    Man, I nearly wore out my original CD of "3 feet high and rising"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    wow, is that weird....... I just saw a Macy's back to school commercial playing "My, Myself & I". Apparently the "classics" is in style this year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. marlof

marlof AGC Rookie

Aug 27, 2016
    I'm sorry to say that I'm currently listening to a playlist existing of 80s rock, since that's what gets me going on my torture device indoor rowing machine.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  5. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    Searching For Sugarman, music by Rodriguez. We saw him Monday evening at the Orpheum in Vancouver - great show.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    Jammed out side one of this today while burning in a new phono pre-amp

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been bingeing on jazz lately. This one is spinning on the turntable right now. It's a shame this copy is kinda crackly, but damn, Sonny is good.
    And the quiet parts of the disc are doing ALL the right things that analog does so well. The sound is like liquid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    The wordless vocal group really dates this record (in a way that changes it from a $100 album into a $20 album), but if you can past the vocals, there's some great playing going on......

9. marlof

marlof AGC Rookie

Aug 27, 2016
    I'm going backwards in time. The 70s it is.

10. Brian

Brian New to AGC

Aug 11, 2016

And my daughter asks for me to put it on...

• Like Like x 2
  11. rbelyell

rbelyell AGC Regular

Aug 30, 2016
    i just finished listening to the album Broken English (Deluxe Ed) by Marianne Faithfull. i have the original, but found the Deluxe on Spotify. just read stevie winwood played keyboards. havent listened to it in years. i have a video somewhere of her promoting it on Saturday Night Live. anyway, really enjoyed that past-blast, totally dig her marlene dietrich/nico voice and style, and some nice guitar work. i'll be grooving on this for a few days...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a soft spot for her first two.

Enjoying this one right now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    When I was in high school in the mid 80s, my friends and I liked a lot of the 2nd wave of British ska bands like Madness, The Specials and the English Beat. What I didn't know back then was that they were just playing a revved up version of an old form of Jamaican music. One of the greatest singers of the original ska era passed away yesterday.

Here's a couple from Prince Buster....

• Like Like x 2
  14. rbelyell

rbelyell AGC Regular

Aug 30, 2016
    Well, my recent 'discovery' of Pandora (and Spotify) has once again led me to something i love, but knew nothing sbout: a genre of music called Riot Grrrl. this is a '90s post punk feminist rock movement out of the pacific northwest. the sound is very much like early 60s girl groups on steroids, which ive loved for a long time. groups like the Runaways, the Pristeens, even the NY Dolls--that kind of sound. so the main Riot Grrls groups seem to be Bratmobile, Bikini Kill, Heavens to Betsy. if you like that sound, you should check them out. and as a further btw, if you dig those, check out some japanese girl groups, like the 5,6,7,8's (from Kill Bill fame) and Shonen Knife, whom i discovered did an entire Ramones Tribute album called Osaka Ramones.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Aug 27, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you grew up playing Atari and Nintnedo and are cool with electronic music, I can highly recommend this tribute to Kraftwerk. Everyone else will likely say that it is not music.

And if you really want to geek out, you can read about so-called "chip-music" here..... Chiptune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  16. marlof

marlof AGC Rookie

Aug 27, 2016
    Today I went to a reading on musical culture. The speaker wasn't all that great, but he did choose Keith Jarrett's The Koln Concert pt 1 to demonstrate a point. In all honesty, I didn't play that record since my college days. Today it was played over two B&W 800 D3s, powered by a McIntosh set. It was as if I was there, in 1975. Amazing. I'd gladly trade a car for that setup if I'd have an opportunity to set up a listening room in my house.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Carbonman

Carbonman AGC Regular

Aug 27, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    I did, sort of :biggrin:.

18. marlof

marlof AGC Rookie

Aug 27, 2016
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. addieleman

addieleman AGC Rookie

Sep 17, 2016
    The Netherlands
    As so often, Haydn.
    i-pmhShLK-XL.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ajramirez

ajramirez AGC Rookie

Sep 15, 2016
    Suite "Pelleas Et Melisande" (Gabriel Faure) by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Neville Marriner. Surfing the net for reviews on the Vandersteen VLR's recommended by Luke.

• Like Like x 2